Friday, October 25, 2013

When I think of mainstream I think of popularity, so is Watchmen mainstream or is it underground. Well I think it can be a bit of both. For one, I personally don’t think Watchman can be categorized under mainstream but if you ask a person who is a comic book lover, they would probably say that Watchmen is very much categorized as main stream. So Watchman is both mainstream and underground, I say this because I have never read a comic book, and this is my experience of reading this book…..as I was reading watchman I got lost within the story so I had to constantly be rereading. I do not like comic books because as I was engaging with every characters story as I read, all of a sudden the characters story would come to a stop, with the exception of another characters story either starting or continuing, so I felt like it would leave you hanging until you read a hole hell of a lot more and then all of the characters stories would come together in the end, I did not like watchman……but like I said if a comic book lover had read this they would probably think watchman is thee all time best comic book ever!!!!!!!!…Maybe?.... When analyzing the comic book the Watchmen and thinking back at lenses we have looked at, the only lens that I can make a connection with Is “where are all the non white people.” In the comic book the only colored person I saw was Dr Malcolm the psychoanalyst, in which he is in only in a few panels, other than that everyone else is white (Oh and the female that Malcolm talks to is also colored) two people..wow,….and if there were more I did not catch that because all I saw was white characters…. I think this is kind of sad because the some of the characters in this story are super heroes and well there all white as well, I also thought about other super hero stories lines like batman and superman and others as well, they don’t seem to have a colored super hero, why can’t there be a few more colored people put in as some of the characters……Ew….talk about not having diversity……

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Watchmen has to be considered a little bit of both because it really does just kind of depend your taste. I also think that it is interesting that you analyzed this from a "Where are all of the white people" lens, I had not really thought of that.

    ReplyDelete